vegetarian chickpea loaf
With its lovely amber colour and heady Indian spices, this vegetarian loaf takes you on a trip to South Asia! It’s one of my fall favourites. For an appetizer, I spread it on toast. When serving it as a main dish, I cut it into cubes and top my green salad with it.
Preparation : 30 minutes
Baking : 1 1/2 hours
Efficiency : 4 to 6
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8 x 4 in. (20 x 10 cm) loaf pan. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, blend the chickpeas and 3/4 cup (180 ml) tomatoes with the egg yolks until smooth.
3. Pour the mixture into a bowl and add the remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) tomatoes and all the other ingredients. Mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Lower the oven temperature to 300°F (150°C) and continue baking for 30 minutes. Slice the loaf while still in the pan and serve hot. Serve with the tomato sauce and your choice of greens or green vegetables.
1. In a saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and gently simmer about 25 minutes. Add parsley, salt and pepper.