maple bread pudding
If ever there was a top 10 list of Quebec’s most heart-warming, comfort-foody classics, the bread pudding would probably be neck and neck with the famous Quebec pouding chômeur. This pecan version, prepared in single-serve portions silences those legendary battles at the table over who’s going to get the biggest piece.
Preparation : 20 minutes
Baking : 25 minutes
Refrigeration : 1 hour
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. In a big bowl, beat the eggs, milk, cream, maple syrup and vanilla. Add the cubes of bread and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Generously butter or oil a 12-cavity muffin pan.
4. Divide the mixture among the moulds, packing the bread cubes together. Sprinkle the pecans and maple sugar on top.
5. Cook on the middle rack of the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool.
6. Use a thin blade around the breads to carefully remove them from the moulds. If desired, drizzle a dash of maple syrup or maple butter on top.